Monday, September 26, 2011

Galatians 6:9 - Doing Good

September 26, 2011

“Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.” – Galatians 6:9

This was the word of the day sent out to some of the guys in the unit. It spoke to me today because it seems that often times – probably more often than not – I am quick to give up on doing what’s good. Honestly, it becomes a pain in my rear. I have to laugh at myself at times because the “motivator” in me hears the words that I often say to others: “Humans are like water. We take the path of least resistance.” We are … let me clear that one up … I am a lazy man when it comes to doing what’s good. It’s tough. It’s inconvenient most of the time. But …
There always has to be a “but.” The Apostle Paul reminds me often about suffering through doing what’s good, what’s right. “More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us” (Rom. 5:3-5).
I think most of us would agree that sometimes you have to suffer to do what’s good. It’s tough. Ask anyone who’s in a committed relationship. The hardest part of being married to me, for instance, is suffering through every day crap and crud to get to what’s good – to get to that little pony in the room full of poo. Just ask my wife. I’m brutal. I’m tough to live with much less a person with whom to have a personal conversation. But you know what? She suffers through the flotsam and jetsam that is “our” marriage and her efforts will eventually pay back huge dividends.
Thanks God for daily reminders of who you are, whose we are, and who we are called to serve – called to suffer for – in doing what’s good.

No comments:

Post a Comment