Saturday, November 12, 2011

Veteran's Day


 
            Yesterday was Veteran’s Day. It was 11-11-11. I guess it was supposed to be the end of the world too but at no point throughout that 24 hour period did I cease breathing so I guess either the world didn’t end or I didn’t make it in the rapture. The good thing is, neither of them happened so there’s still a chance that I’ll still get called up!
            I got the day off yesterday to celebrate those who have served and continue to serve the people of this great nation. It was nice. I was able to spend the majority of the day with my family. Sophia and Angus really appreciated it and Amanda and I got to catch up on life. One thing that I regret not doing was going to the town square and participating in the Veteran’s Day ceremony. I realized what a hypocrite I was as we drove right past the Square as the celebration was starting.
            A couple of things that I’ve heard recently about veterans are a bit disturbing. I heard that in the next five years, the vast majority of Vietnam Vets will be dead. Now, I assume this source was speaking about those Vietnam Vets who were exposed to Agent Orange. Also – I’m not quite sure of the actual percentage of homeless people in America – but the percentage of homeless Americans who are Veterans is 15%. That’s crazy to me! Why are these guys and/or gals on the street? What’s their circumstance?
            Another thought: there are a lot of people talking about the draw-down on the battle front. I hope that’s the case, no doubt, but the reality is that there is a time for peace and a time for war (Ecclesiastes 3:8). We might have to remain in these arenas for an extended amount of time. Who knows? There is no rest for the wicked and evil men will always attempt to destroy the peacemakers.
            But I do hope for peace. However, the peace of which I hope only comes from one – Jesus Christ. Christmas is just around the corner and one of the greatest promises in the Word comes as a prophecy which we continue to sing today. “For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders.  And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6). Read the surrounding passages as well and get stoked on the promise – the fact – that there ain’t gonna be no war, no more!
Isaiah 9:2-7
2 The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine.
3 You will enlarge the nation of Israel, and its people will rejoice. They will rejoice before you as people rejoice at the harvest and like warriors dividing the plunder.
4 For you will break the yoke of their slavery and lift the heavy burden from their shoulders. You will break the oppressor’s rod, just as you did when you destroyed the army of Midian.
5 The boots of the warrior and the uniforms bloodstained by war will all be burned. They will be fuel for the fire.
6 For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders.  And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 His government and its peace will never end. He will rule with fairness and justice from the throne of his ancestor David for all eternity. The passionate commitment of the Lord of Heaven’s Armies will make this happen!

1 comment:

  1. probably not the appropriate place to write this, but Chris and I (you know, he's COC ha ha ha) have been discussed "the rapture" lately - apparently he's never heard of it being called that and he has this totally different interpretation of what the things in revelation actually mean... it's really weird because in our study bible, it has all the footnotes and it's like "some people think this and others think this" and we are sorta opposites on almost everything pertaining to end of the world... however... who knows?! its all up to the interpreter... but, on a different note, thank you for your service... being married now to an army guy makes the thought of deployment and being away from family/friends completely different... i'm thankful to not have experienced that yet... and thankful for those around me who have sacrificed not only lives, but time, their children, family, friends, etc... what would we do without you guys?!

    ReplyDelete