Friday, October 7, 2011

Priority: Pittsburgh

Today I had a "duh" moment. I really do enjoy spending time with my best friend. I didn't get to do that today and somewhere between the New River Gorge and the Pennsylvania state line - somewhere on that beautiful stretch of highway they call "19," I realized how much I enjoy spending QT with my honey!

Maybe the circumstances were perfect for it - quite a few to keep the lonely in the forefront of my mind: just me and my iPod, the New River Gorge, the setting of the sun and driving in the darkness, stopping to fill up and recognizing that very few others doing the same thing will even say hello, much less, look you in the eye. It's lonely on that West Virginia piece of real estate.

But now I'm near Pittsburgh. Now I'm stretched out on an air mattress in another friend's basement less than an hour away from the home field of the team I grew up loving to cheer for and still do! And I get to see them live on that field this Sunday! A dream come true ... But my best friend is at home with our little people.

She's not with me and although I'm really excited about being here and going to the game, I do wish she would have been able to be a part of this. She deserves it. Not because she's MY wife but because SHE's my wife.

Christ has called me to love my wife as He loved the church. That's one of the hardest things for me to understand as a husband and a Christian. Christ continues to love the church despite its efforts to minimize him. But, unlike Christ, how often do I make excuses to minimize my wife because of some supposed offense? I pray that my dysfunctional actions aren't the norm.

Thank God that He takes time like a long stretch of isolated road to remind us of what our priorities should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment